Facial massage is one way to connect with your mind, body, and soul — to get out of your head and tune into your body. It calms the racing mind and soothes your skin, providing immediate mental and physical benefits. All you need are your two hands and Performance Oil.
REYN co-founder and celebrity makeup artist Christine Cherbonnier loves incorporating facial massage into her work, both on clients and on herself. Here are her tips for an invigorating and illuminating facial massage:
1. Apply a generous amount of Performance Oil to your hands and face.
2. Start from the center of the face and work your way outward. Begin by sweeping your fingers up and around the forehead and down the bridge of the nose following the shape of your face. Use light pressure — not too aggressive! Sweep your fingers under the eyes and outward.
3. Next, move to the cheekbones, following the same sweeping motion.
4. Use your knuckles to massage the jawline, sweeping outward towards your ears. You should be able to feel the flexible fascia begin to stretch and move more freely.
5. Release some of that built-up tension in your forehead using your index fingers and pressing down on the pressure points just above your eyebrows. Hold for a few moments before moving out towards the hairline in vertical strokes.
6. Don’t forget about your neck and décolletage! Take your hands and perform light, quick strokes from the neck to the jawline. Use small, circular movements for the center of your décolletage, moving outwards towards your armpits.
Regular facial massage helps improve circulation, which brings more blood cells and oxygen to the skin to facilitate better absorption of products. It stimulates lymphatic drainage, which helps remove waste and toxins from body tissues, reducing swelling and puffiness.
Facial massage can last 20 seconds or 20 minutes, depending on how much time you have. You can do it in the morning before you put on your makeup to help reduce puffiness and improve the skin’s suppleness, or in the evening as a relaxing and rejuvenating part of your nighttime ritual.